I have been really motivated and excited to make this holiday season centered around Christ and sacrificial giving. It seems like every year I have this intention, but somehow the hustle and bustle of the holidays gets a hold of me. By time Thanksgiving and Christmas is over, I'm wiped out and just glad it's over. I have a feeling that's not the way God planned for us to commemorate His son's birth!
So as I find fun things and opportunities, I am going to post them on the blog. Maybe it will inspire some of you to join with me to make the holidays about more than shopping, cookies, trees, and presents and truly something to rejoice about!
I found some great, free resources on the World Vision website. There are two curriculum guides (one for adults and one for children, kindergarten and up) that have a bunch of activities geared to celebrate each week of the advent season.
http://www.worldvision.org/content.nsf/pages/advent-2009?open&campaign=10890610
Also, if you happen to be wondering about gifts that have meaning, the World Vision Gift Catalog is up and you can buy things like goats, chickens, and wells for people living in poverty around the world.
Also, an organization that is near and dear to our hearts, Invisible Children, has just launched a new program called Mend. You can buy a handbag that is made uniquely by specific women in Uganda. This program is allowing women to become self-sufficient and earn necessary income to provide for their families. Each bag comes with the story of the woman who made it. You don't get that from Coach!
Here's the link: http://www.invisiblechildren.com/mend
I'll keep you posted as I find more. And if you come across any great ideas, let me know!
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Julie, you're so right. It's so easy to get carried away with all the hoopla and forget why we're even celebrating. What a great example you're setting for your kids too.
I'm totally with you, Jullie. I was at the mall yesterday trying to get a jump start on Christmas shopping and I was a bit sickened by all the "stuff". Not that anything's wrong with giving presents but it's a bit overdone. Along the lines of the World Vision website, for the past few years we've purchased a few things on Samaritan's Purse's website. They have the same sort of things...blankets for kids, emergency shelter kits, etc. If it were up to me our family would scrap gifts altogether and just give to that. Thanks for your post! You're encouraging!
Post a Comment