Thursday, March 11, 2010

Recommendations, Anyone?

I have a confession to make. A few weeks ago I had a minor identity crisis of sorts. I was laying in bed, my head swarming with so many crazy ideas that I could barely handle being in my skin...it was like I was itching to do something, I just didn't know what. I told Mark I wanted to return to school, go get an M. Div or a Doctorate in Social Work or maybe a PhD in some social science. Mark didn't discourage me...but he kind of gave me that "Are you out of your mind?!" look. You probably know what I'm talking about.

Before I got too carried away, though, I did remember that I have two young children that require full-time care and then I remembered how I don't actually like writing papers, doing homework, studying for tests or reading textbooks. And writing my Master's thesis was one of the biggest headaches of my life. So after thinking about it more clearly, what it boils down to is that I just wanted to go hear some instructors, learn something new and get another degree to feel smart and be seen as smart in the eyes of other people (too many conversations about sleep schedules and crock pot dishes were getting the best of me). Plus having a title like Dr. Mitchell with a lot of extra letters at the end of my name sounded cool too.

Since ignoring my family and acquiring student loans just for the sake of cool titles and letters wasn't such a great idea, I decided to find a Plan B. Upon more self examination (you must think I'm such a narcissist!), I realized that what I really wanted to do was not go back to school but simply to just start reading again. I confess I sort of got lost in survival mode, just living day to day and in my few minutes of free time I would just veg out watching some lame reality TV show. Seriously, I don't think anything I watched had a single actor in it. Just a host and a bunch of people trying to prove they're better than other people. And of course that is sadly interesting to me...so I kept/keep watching (I couldn't just quit cold turkey, you know. I have to know who wins!)

But I've decided to start reading again. However, I'm looking for a fresh start. I admit I tend to gravitate towards the authors I know and love...Joel C. Rosenberg, Jonathan Kozel, Donald Miller, Amy Tan, Francine Rivers, Sandra Cisneros, Khaled Hosseini, Maya Angelou, Jane Austen and Nicolas Sparks (cheesy, I know). They are like friends in my living room and I can just curl up to their words for hours. But there is a big world out there and an entire library full of adventures...so I'm seeking suggestions. My only request is NO CHRISTIAN SELF-HELP/SELF IMPROVEMENT BOOKS! I don't want to be told how to be a better wife, better mother, better Christian, better friend. It is not that I think I have perfected myself in these areas, it is just that those books have the reverse effect on me. Instead feeling inspired, they make me feel tired, depressed and abnormally cranky, to be honest.

So if you have read anything of quality, substance or pure entertainment, send me some titles. I've picked up a few goodies at the library yesterday (another Donald Miller...I couldn't help myself!), but I'm open to new suggestions. And today I already finished the Miller book because I can get quite O.C.D. with reading and was up at 5:30 a.m. finishing it before Ethan could wake up. Now I'm all inspired to change the world and write an amazing story with my life. But that's another post. In the meantime, the only thing I'll be changing is a few dirty diapers. Hoping to hear from you! -J


P.S. For you Lit majors out there, you are probably dying as you read all the fragments I just constructed. I think my AP English teacher from high school would vomit. Lucky for her, and you for that matter, a dissertation is clearly not in my distant future.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Sometimes I feel like I'm reading about myself when I read your blog, Julie. :) I HAVE to have a good book going b/c it's my escape from the real world (not that I don't love my world or the people I share it with). But a mom's got to branch out, right? I love alot of those authors you mentioned and I would add to those: Ken Follett ("Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End"), Anita Shreve (anything of hers is great), Linda Fairstein (if you like crime dramas) and I have to admit I read every new James Patterson book although I know I'm not any smarter for reading any of his, just entertained.I hope that helps. I'm with you on the self-help books. I wish I liked them more, but I don't. Good luck!

Samson Rhett Butler said...

Hey Julie,

One of my favorite authors (and she does Christian based writing) is Karen Kingsbury. She has probably close to 30 books that will bes ure to keep you busy for a while. Couple others include Wanda Brunstetter and Dee Henderson. Both are really good too!

Unknown said...

Julie, you write in such an honest way, I truly love it!! I'm pretty into Christian Fiction. I like it because although the characters are Christian, they also have flaws that they are working through. Your friend above mentioned Karen Kingsbury and she has one series that I loved called the Redemption Series (I think). I also have been reading Robin Jones Gunn since high school for fiction. I am with you on the self-help books, I have a bookshelf of them in which I have only read the first chapter. Oh well! :) I mostly read fiction because it truly feels like an escape (I also like Nicholas Sparks) so I can't help ya on the non-fiction! Good luck :)

Jenn - aka honey or mom said...

Have you heard of Brock and Bodie Thoene (pronounced Taynee)? They write Christian historical fiction. It's so great because you're learning something historical while totally engrossed in the current unfolding drama - I love to learn that way. The series that I have read are: The Shiloh Legacy (WW1- the great depression), The Zion Chronicles (starts in Jerusalem in 1947 - so great for getting the history of modren day Israel), and the Zion Legacy (takes up where the Chronicles leaves off). They have other series, but...I got married and had kids...I forgot that I could still read:). Enjoy!