Saturday, October 9, 2010

Destruction Zone

I have to smile when I go to my friends' homes who don't have children. The World Market decorations, the Pier One furniture. Everything clean, shiny and in perfect order. And then I come home...and look at my house. The Destruction Zone. You just have to shake your head sometimes. Here's a taste of the what the last month brought...


The Culprit


The Victim

You know it's going to be bad when your 3 year-old announces that he "took some pictures". In 5 minutes it was broken beyond repair.


The Culprit


The Victim

This was the last bowl in a set of 8. Bowls #5, 6, and 7 had the same fate by the same hands. But no worries, they're totally replaceable. I'll just run back to the little pottery shop in the remote village of Dedza, Malawi and have another set custom-dipped and hand-painted.


The Culprit


The Victim

Apparently Gracie decided on her own that she needed a doggie door.


Case in point


The Culprit


The Victim

(This is what the beautiful nursery looked like...prior to putting an actual child in it.)


One year later

Good thing our treasures aren't stored here on earth!




4 comments:

Jenn said...

What? Your kids are destructive? That's so strange. :) Our last house had chewed up molding (dog). Our van has scratched sides (scooter). Our coffee table has teeth marks all around the perimeter (teething child). Gotta love it!

Unknown said...

Haha!! Every family with small kids can relate! We had a dog once that ripped through our screen too!

steveandcaryn said...

Oh Julie... I had to laugh and cry with you on this one. I can so relate in many ways! But I am so sad for you that your precious Dedza pottery was ruined. :( Oh that would make me cry!!

Rachel said...

I love the action shot of the dog actually jumping through the huge hole in the screen. And I'm sure Brooklyn had a ball spending all her sleepless nights working on that cute border. Man, kids are expensive! (and dogs!)