In case you just happened to have missed the viral video that 75 million other people watched, here is the link to Invisible Children's newest, and most important campaign to date.
Kony 2012
Now you may be thinking, those Mitchells are just getting on the bandwagon because everyone else is. Well, clearly we don't care a whole lot about doing what is trendy (Have you seen what we wear? Yup, new clothes haven't really happened since Ethan was born. And believe it or not, we still don't have cell phones, a flat screen, a minivan, or even a Facebook account! So no, we don't care about being trendy).
And although this video is new, I.C. is not. We have loved what the Invisible Children have been doing for almost 8 years now, when we first watched the rough cut of their documentary. When we lived in Flagstaff, we organized three major screenings of the film for the community and got permission to show it to the entire middle school that Mark and I first worked at. We've had I.C. roadies sleep on our apartment floor and have engaged in deep discussions with them about social injustice while eating spaghetti around our dinner table. And like a lot of people who try to do a little good in this world, they are receiving a lot of backlash. Since the viral video, people have been questioning I.C.'s integrity and practices. However, we've been involved with them for so long, I think that the criticism is really undeserved.
Anyways, as a family, we love Africa, love children, and hate injustice...so we are supporting their efforts and we plan to use this opportunity to teach our kids about standing up for what is right. Maybe you can too!
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment