Thursday, January 8, 2009

California Dreamin'

This Christmas, we decided to avoid the winter chill and instead bask in the warm, California sunshine. No pictures of sledding and snow for us...we were wearing short sleeves and enjoying 70 degree temperatures. In case you are unaware, my Mommy is completely in love....with San Diego! Now you may think she is a bit of a two-timer, since we live in Colorado. But she just can't help herself, her heart craves warmer weather! So here are the Top 10 things she loves about San Diego and if you ever get a chance to go, take her advice. After all, she only had 30 years to perfect her list!

10) Breadsticks from Pat and Oscar's. If you are on an Atkins diet, these are not for you. However, if you can have a proper appreciation for white flour, you won't be disappointed!

9) Balboa Park. Yes, this is a bit touristy. However, we just love the Spanish architecture, lush gardens, and eclectic street performers. You just can't help but feel happy there!

8) Coronado Island. Beautiful beach, amazing hotels, great coffee shops. Perfection.

7) Old Town. Best Mexican food in San Diego...yum!

6) Kate Sessions Park. Gorgeous park overlooking Pacific Beach...where Daddy proposed!

5) Lake Murray. Nestled in the heart of the city, we love this little piece of heaven.

4) Claire de Lune. Best coffee shop in San Diego...trendy, artsy and best appreciated while sipping a Chai latte and having a heart-to-heart with Mom's dear friend Angela!

3) The Chargers! The quintessential underdogs...they will always be Our Team (okay, not Dad's team. He insists on being a Broncos fan. Too bad the Broncos got KILLED by the Chargers!) Grandpa even taught me how to yell "Booooo!!" at the Broncos and "Yay!!!" for the Chargers. Dad was thrilled.

2) The Beach! Mom loves almost every beach in San Diego, maybe because she has so many wonderful memories at each one. From long, moonlight walks with Daddy on Silver Strand, to attempting to surf at South Mission, to getting proposed to in Pacific Beach, to hundreds of bonfires in high school and college at La Jolla Shores, to eating at Ruby's on the Oceanside Pier. Impossible to pick a favorite!

1) My grandparent's home! Where else can you relax, sleep in, spend hours talking over morning coffee (or bottle, in my case), and they even watch me for free. Plus, we love Grandma and Grandpa and get royally spoiled every time we go home.

Mom has tried endlessly to convince Daddy that we should move back...but to no avail. He will only give her the slightest hope of possibly retiring there. She will hold onto the hope that maybe when she's sixty, you'll find her wearing a Chargers shirt, walking Lake Murray with a Pat and Oscar's breadstick in her hand!


Last Thanksgiving on Silver Strand


Mommy and I enjoying sunshine in Balboa Park


Riding the Kiddie Train in Balboa Park


Daddy and I in front of the fountain at the Science Center


Mommy and Daddy's "Date Day" at Lake Murray


Loving the beach at Oceanside Pier


If only there was a beach in Colorado!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like we are online at the same time! I love San Diego for all of those same reasons, there is no place like it!!

Jenni said...

Oh how I could use some sunshine and warm weather right now! The pictures are beautiful.

Jenni said...

Oh ya, forgot to say I love the pregnancy count down and the new background, so cute!

The Phillips Family said...

That warm sunshine looks so inviting right now. I was thinking I could be done with winter, but I know we still have a long way to go! Thats a cute little counter, I may have to still that idea!

Jessica Probert said...

Awesome new background! And I didn't think you were going to be able to make it to San Diego this year, I'm so glad you got to! We'll have to call sometime soon to hear how things are going. Oh, and we'll definitely take your advice on the things to do in San Diego; as you know I've never been so its on our list of places to visit. Miss you guys!

Jenn - aka honey or mom said...

I'll have to write that list down, we go to San Diego every now and then. Have you heard of a pizza place called Luigi's (or something like that)? I saw it advertised on some cable food show.