Thursday, April 2, 2009

Good News and Bad News

So on Monday I had my 28 week prenatal appointment. The good news is that Baby Girl continues to be healthy and growing quite well (maybe a little too well...I'm currently measuring 2 weeks ahead, yikes! I really need to lay off of the brownies and cookie dough!)

But the bad news...my doctor reviewed the x-rays from my back surgery I had in 1997. It turns out that the piece of metal that holds my back together just so happens to be placed very close to where they would put in an epidural. My doctor feels that if I decide to go for an epidural this time, the results are likely to be "suboptimal".

Now I know that many of you ladies out there who read this blog have had many babies naturally and have lived to tell about it. And I know that I, too, had Ethan naturally and did survive. However, I also remember DISTINCTLY telling Mark after the delivery that I would never have another child without an epidural or I was adopting from then on.

So now what am I supposed to do? It is obviously a little too late to go back on my plan to have another baby. I am just asking for you to pray that 1) I will be able to make it through the rest of this pregnancy without a ridiculously heightened level of anxiety over another natural delivery (which I'm currently experiencing!) and 2) that despite the curse on Eve, maybe God would be willing to give me some additional grace during this birth. And if I have to have a c-section for some reason....God help me! I do not want "suboptimal" pain relief as they slice open my abdomen.

Thanks for reading and praying...June 23rd is getting closer and closer each day!

Julie


My babies and I
(Complete with no make-up and wet hair...and people
wonder why I don't post preggo pictures of myself!)

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Julie, you look adorable!!! I'll be praying for an amazing pain-free birth - or something like that. Hey, I'm just amazed that you did it once before without drugs - and look at how God has blessed you.

Unknown said...

Julie~ glad to hear baby girl is doing well! Sorry to hear about the epidural though. I will be praying hard for you and that you will have the easiest and smoothest delivery ever known to man!

Bethany said...

Oh dear Julie, I am so sorry to hear that news about your epidural :( I actually didn't know you had Ethan without one, so hats off to you! Did you plan on not having one the last time? I never even considered it... guess I'm a wimp! ha! I'll definitely be praying for you, and I'm so glad your baby girl is healthy and growing.

The Phillips Family said...

I know a lady from work who was in your same boat, and she learned about hypnobirthing and now she swears its makes a pain free labor! I don't really know about that, but there is a list of things you can do to help! Let me know if you want to know more!

Jenni said...

Oh my! I'll be praying for a quick/easy delivery. I have friends who have had their babies so quickly that there wasn't even time for an epidural :)

You do look great, I love pregnancy pictures!

Jessica Probert said...

First of all, Julie, you look fantastic!!! I love the picture, thanks for posting it. Secondly, we will definitely be praying for an easy delivery with baby-girl-Mitchell. Looking forward to seeing you soon!