Saturday, January 30, 2010

The End of A Week

I have never been so happy to see a week come to an end. I'm not even going to pretend that my idea of suffering even compares to suffering on a global scale...such as becoming an orphan due to AIDS or losing everything in the earthquake in Haiti. However, in my charmed, extremely spoiled life as a suburban homemaker, this week has been one I hope to not repeat anytime soon.

The week actually started off great. We had a fun time at play group, I got to get out of the house for our ladies accountability group, and I had lots of fun ideas for the rest of the week. But somehow things starting spiraling downhill and just didn't let up.

Wednesday: The Search for "The Potty Video"


I had the great idea to get this movie from the public library with hopes to inspire Ethan to use his potty. Well, first of all, I do not recommend this movie whatsoever. It shows little "Henry" rip off his diaper, run to the potty, and use it properly. Well, let's just say that when Ethan tried to copy little Henry, it didn't work out so smoothly and a great deal of Clorox was necessary to clean up the mess! Anyways, the movie was due back on Thursday but when I went to get it, it had mysteriously disappeared. I mean, really disappeared.

I tell you, the public library and I do not get along. It is supposed to be a free institution and I've already spend over $20 in late fees and in a book replacement (due to Ethan deciding to take a bite out of the book as we pulled into the library parking lot). The idea of paying $40 for a terrible movie and having to look the librarian in the face yet again was horrifying. I spent hours tearing apart the basement, looking in every nook and cranny with no luck. Thankfully, the Lord must have provided me with some divine inspiration, because I convinced my wonderful husband to take apart the DVD player and we found that the movie had somehow got shoved inside of it. Crisis averted.

Thursday: More Potty Disasters

The positive thing about Thursday was that I lost 3 pounds and finally got back to my pre-preggo weight! The negative, however, is that those 3 pounds weren't lost by working out on my elliptical machine but rather hugging a toilet with the most violent stomach flu I've had in a really long time. Poor Mark was suffering right along side me which makes one wonder, who was watching the kids? Good question. We basically survived by standing up in 5 minute intervals to make quick meals/bottles for the kids and then resumed our positions on the couch watching movies and sleeping. It was the longest day of my life (aside from being in labor), but thankfully we woke up on Friday feeling much better. Sadly, my 3 pounds will likely return as my diet shifts from Gatorade and saltines to actual food.

Friday: The Final Bathroom Disaster


Ethan with his bandaged finger

And last, was a mother's worst nightmare (in the bathroom again, notice a theme?) I was talking to my parents on the phone
when Ethan ran upstairs (did I mention in the last post that Ethan always does something terrible when I'm on the phone?) Two minutes later, I hear him crying. I thought, "No big deal, but I should probably get off the phone anyway." Well, when I find Ethan, he is standing in the tub, completely naked, covered in blood. I tried not to panic but the look on my face sent Ethan into screaming mode.

Apparently, from what I can gather since he can't actually tell me, he was trying to be like Henry again. He ripped off his sleeper and his diaper and headed for the potty. Well, once he got there, he decided to get into the tub for fun. That's when he found Daddy's razor and though he has been told a million times not to touch it, he decided to pick it up anyway. And, of course, the razor cut his finger. The cut actually turned out to be quite small, but it bled like crazy and it looked much worse than it was. Mark came home in the middle of this disaster and we spent the next hour trying to get the bleeding to stop and get the mess cleaned up. Nothing like feeling like a terrible parent. I promise you we try to baby-proof our house as much as we can, but somehow our kids still look abused half the time.


All of that to say, thank goodness it's Saturday. I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

LOL!!! WOW my friend, that IS quite a week :) I give it to you, you win the prize! Glad Ethan wasn't too badly injured, and that you and Mark are feeling better!!

steveandcaryn said...

Oh goodness Julie, that was quite a week! Seems though we have parallel lives these days... having my own potty woes too! I feel your pain. But ouch with the razor!! I would not have been able to stay calm seeing that!

Rachel said...

Julie, although I can tell your week was not too good, I can see through your writing that you are already finding the humor in all of it. Or am I just finding the humor in it because I was laughing out loud while reading it - mostly out of sympathy, though. You are a fabulous mother and I appreciate your honesty!