Wednesday, February 3, 2010

PSY 101

You know when you're in college and spend countless hours memorizing theories in order to pass a test...but secretly you know you'll forget it minutes after class is over because you don't actually believe it will ever be important in real life? Well, yesterday I had my first PSY 101 test performed in the laboratory of life. Dr. Beeman, if you're out there, this post is for you.

Apparently, my son is having some issues in the the second stage of Erik Erikson's Stages of Child Development, "Autonomy Vs. Shame and Doubt". Per some website:

"Young children become autonomous when caregivers are supportive and give children the safe space to make their own decisions and to experiment with their bodies and problem-solving skills without shaming or ridiculing the child. When children feel shame and doubt, they believe that they are not capable of making valid decisions and not capable of doing everyday tasks."

Dr. Beeman informed me back in 1996 that if your child doesn't master this stage, they might do something crazy...like wipe their feces all of the place. And I remember thinking, "You are such a wacko!" Well, yesterday I learned to never completely dismiss a professor.

When I heard the words, "Mooooooommy! I went poo poo!!!" I had no idea that he really meant, "Mooooommy, I just unzipped my sleeper, ripped off my disgusting diaper, and smeared my feces all over the door, the walls, and even the carpet! You better carve out a few hours of your life to give me an impromptu shower and for an emergency clean up. Oh, and be sure to grab the Clorox, carpet cleaner, and the Fabreeze while you're at it!"

For the record, I don't believe Ethan is not performing well in this stage because we ridicule or shame him. Because we don't. Really, we don't. In fact, I am proud of myself for not losing my temper or cursing. However, I can't pretend that when I walked into this disaster I was like, "Oh goodie! You did a great job experimenting with your bodily functions!" So after some self-reflection, I give myself a "C-" on this exam practicum. At this rate, we may be stuck in this phase for awhile.

Sorry for doubting you, Dr. Beeman...you were right after all.


At least my lab partner is cute...


Even if he does stink.


Next time we're hoping for a "B".

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my...what I have to look forward to...

The Phillips Family said...

I've been there! Rayna was kind enough to keep it in her crib and the windows/walls around her, though!

Jenn - aka honey or mom said...

Thankfully I can say that I've not dealt with that...yet. So, does this all stem back to the Potty Video?

Jenni said...

Oh Julie, I LOVE your blog!! You make me laugh :) I have some really good Poo stories, if only I had the time to share.

Stephen and Jessica said...

This is Stephen. Just caught up on your blog while eating my lunch. I am glad you are learning a lot from your kids. We plan on learning from you when we have our own. Expect many a phone call.