A few months ago, we were eating dinner with my college friends, the Nelsons. Tyler was talking about how his first real memory was of his third birthday. Then I started thinking about it myself, and realized that my first memory was when I changed my favorite color from pink to yellow in order to obtain a helium-filled balloon at my...you guessed it, third birthday party. Suddenly, I felt pressure. Like, "Oh my goodness, Ethan will actually remember if I totally screw this up! This may be the difference between emotional stability as an adult and years of therapy discussing his mother's failures to plan decent parties, dating back to three years-old." I get that this way of thinking is not necessarily rational, but I felt it nonetheless.
So I was determined to actually put in some effort this year. No more figure-out-the-party-at-the-very-last-minute for me! For some of you Super Moms out there, this is a no-brainer. You always go all out for your kids. Well, admittedly, I don't. I suffer from an acute medical condition called "Always Tired Syndrome" (A.K.A. laziness, apathy...it has many names) and often I just don't have the "Umf" necessary to get a party together. Well, this year, thanks to A TON of help from Mark and my parents, Ethan finally got a fantastic party. He truly loved every minute...starting from a week before when he'd thank Jesus during his prayers that his friends were coming to his party...to today, weeks later, when he still talks about it all. the. time.
The Recipe for A Great Party:

Take One Fantastic Kid...

Add a good night's sleep...
Mix some new baseball gear from Gigi and Pa
(which he's been totally BEGGING for)

With a dash of early morning practice (7 a.m.?)


Pour in a heap of help from the grandparents

Whip up an awesome cake
(Thanks Grandma!)

(And not just any cake, a cake you LOVE
and ask to look at every five minutes)

Add some decorations...

Yummy food...

And a homemade slip n' slide...

Combine as many friends into a
baby pool as you can possibly fit...

With letting your sister win the game...
With the fun of having all your
friends "help" you open them
Add a splash of new friends
(esp. the girl you like!)...

With old friends
(and no, despite what it may look like,
there was no alcohol at the party)

And lastly, sprinkle with lots
and lots and lots of sugar!

Happy Birthday, Baby! We love you so much!





2 comments:
Hailey sat on my lap and sang along to the Happy Birthday Ethan song!! Glad you had a fun day!!
Looks like a great birthday party! Your kids are so cute!
Post a Comment