Jackson Sawyer Mitchell
Born 10/10/11 at 2:08 p.m.; 6 lbs, 6 oz; 20 inches long
It has been quite an eventful two weeks in the Mitchell household. Our newest baby boy, Jackson Sawyer, finally made his entrance into the world! Since most ladies I know love a good labor story, here it goes. If you are not into the details, just enjoy the pictures. : )
So once again, my due date came and went on Oct. 5th. This was really no surprise, since I've never gone into labor before and I really didn't expect it this time. So, I scheduled my induction for the 10th and spent the next 5 days doing some intense cooking, cleaning, shopping at Target, and keeping up with all of our church commitments. We were all so busy, it really didn't phase us this time. My parents showed up on Friday night and were there to bond with the kids for the weekend. One plus of being induced is that despite living 2 states away, my parents have never missed a delivery yet. Finally, Monday morning arrived and we headed to the hospital for induction #3. I had it all planned out in my head how the day was going to go. And of course, it didn't go that way at all!

6:15 a.m. and looking as tired as I felt
We got to the hospital around 6:30 a.m., checked in, and then went up to our labor room. My doctor was supposed to be there around 7 a.m. to break my water, but got tied up in a surgery. Finally, another OB came in around 9 a.m. and got the job done. I assumed that would kick start labor, but this time...nothing. We watched "The Amazing Race"...nothing. We walked in circles for over an hour...nothing. Not a single contraction. Finally, at noon, I decided this was just too slow to handle so I bit the bullet and let them start Pitocin.
Immediately the contractions kicked in. They were pretty sharp, since my water was already broken and the nurse kept upping the dose. By 1 p.m., I was having to really breathe through the contractions and I started contemplating getting my epidural. Part of me felt like a bit of wimp, since I had really only been in pain for about 45 minutes. But then I decided that I didn't care what anyone thought, I just wanted the pain "GONE!". So we asked for the anesthesiologist to come. Unfortunately, he was tied up with the lady next door but the nurses assured me he'd be there in about 15 minutes. Well, 15 minutes turned into 30 and I was seriously getting impatient. By time he showed up, the contractions were coming every 3 minutes and I was not happy about it. I just kept thinking, "The pain will disappear in just a few minutes. I can do this!"
Well, the epidural finally got placed around 1:45 p.m. and they put in a quick acting loading dose to ease the immediate pain. Just as the warmth was beginning to kick in, I had the worst contraction of the day. I looked at the nurse and asked her, "I thought the epidural was supposed to take the pain away!!!" She decided to check me and was surprised to see that I was at 7 cm. "Just a few more minutes and the epidural will kick in," she said. Then another contraction came and this time I felt myself pushing. I told the nurse, "I'm pushing!!!" So checked me again and was even more surprised that I was at a 10. I desperately asked the nurse, "When is the epidural going to kick in so the pain will go away?!!!" The nurse looked apologetic and then gave me the worst news. "Sorry, hun, you gotta push. We can't wait for the epidural." I almost freaked out, but just then my OB showed up and they said I was free to push. Two pushes later and Jackson entered the world. I was in total shock. I thought I had hours left of labor and I could not wrap my brain around the fact that it was over. I kept asking Mark, "Am I really done?" Even after I was holding Jackson in my arms, I still couldn't really believe it. The entire labor had lasted just over 2 hours...which was about 7 hours faster than my previous deliveries. I was just so thankful that Jackson was healthy and the pain was over. Praise God!
Immediately the contractions kicked in. They were pretty sharp, since my water was already broken and the nurse kept upping the dose. By 1 p.m., I was having to really breathe through the contractions and I started contemplating getting my epidural. Part of me felt like a bit of wimp, since I had really only been in pain for about 45 minutes. But then I decided that I didn't care what anyone thought, I just wanted the pain "GONE!". So we asked for the anesthesiologist to come. Unfortunately, he was tied up with the lady next door but the nurses assured me he'd be there in about 15 minutes. Well, 15 minutes turned into 30 and I was seriously getting impatient. By time he showed up, the contractions were coming every 3 minutes and I was not happy about it. I just kept thinking, "The pain will disappear in just a few minutes. I can do this!"
Well, the epidural finally got placed around 1:45 p.m. and they put in a quick acting loading dose to ease the immediate pain. Just as the warmth was beginning to kick in, I had the worst contraction of the day. I looked at the nurse and asked her, "I thought the epidural was supposed to take the pain away!!!" She decided to check me and was surprised to see that I was at 7 cm. "Just a few more minutes and the epidural will kick in," she said. Then another contraction came and this time I felt myself pushing. I told the nurse, "I'm pushing!!!" So checked me again and was even more surprised that I was at a 10. I desperately asked the nurse, "When is the epidural going to kick in so the pain will go away?!!!" The nurse looked apologetic and then gave me the worst news. "Sorry, hun, you gotta push. We can't wait for the epidural." I almost freaked out, but just then my OB showed up and they said I was free to push. Two pushes later and Jackson entered the world. I was in total shock. I thought I had hours left of labor and I could not wrap my brain around the fact that it was over. I kept asking Mark, "Am I really done?" Even after I was holding Jackson in my arms, I still couldn't really believe it. The entire labor had lasted just over 2 hours...which was about 7 hours faster than my previous deliveries. I was just so thankful that Jackson was healthy and the pain was over. Praise God!

Happy to be a Family of Five!











4 comments:
Congrats Julie!!! You're a rock star! Can't wait to hear how things go with being a family of 5. So exciting!!!
Julie, He is BEAUTIFUL!! Good job! You did it and God blessed you with a quick delivery! So happy for you guys! Can't wait to meet him someday :)
Yay!!!! I've been thinking of you guys lately and wondering if the baby had arrived yet - so thanks for sharing. So, after you delivered did the epidural quick in? Congratulations, you guys look great as a family of 5. Can't wait to see more pictures.
That is a great labor story! Congrats, Julie! He's precious.
Post a Comment