Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Recovering from The Birthday Blues

So I'm not sure which is better...to have a fantastic birthday or to have an entire week of nice things to make up for a totally not-so-fantastic birthday. This year I got #2, so you can judge for yourself.

Let's begin with the birthday. To be fair, one can sort of assume that turning 31 is pretty much going to be the pits no matter how you look at it and it didn't help to wake up completely sick with 2 equally sick children. Not to mention that we had traveled 8 hours the day before and had a surprise visitor (Mr. Police Officer) at 7 p.m. making sure we hadn't died (that's what you get when you forget to inform your family you are leaving the State for a night and your father is a retired cop).

So the day started off bad...got a little better...and ended bad. The highlight was attending a party for my little birthday buddy Simon. He may be 30 years my junior, but he's super cute so it was fun to enjoy a few hours of our day together.


My Birthday Buddy


Party with My Peeps


Now at the end of the day...this person knew he was in a bit of trouble.

So on Monday I got a love note....


And Tuesday I got these....

On Wednesday these bad boys were delivered

(BTW, this was not exactly a present. Our previous hand-me-down washing machine was leaking water all over the basement floor and our dryer was taking 2 hours to barely dry a load of laundry. So our new front loaders were pretty much a necessity...but it does make my life SO MUCH EASIER and it was bought on my birthday, so I'm considering it a ridiculously expensive birthday present.)

Then on Thursday my hubby did like 8 loads of laundry, so that was a HUGE blessing. But the best present came on Friday...when I was surprised with a day with my Honey!!! Mark took the day off of work, sent me on a scavenger hunt and ended with him hiding in the basement guest room. I wish I had pictures, but since I had no idea it was happening, I failed to bring the camera. Anyways, it was so wonderful to have him home, esp. while I was still getting over my cold and needed lots of help with the kiddos.


How could anyone stay mad at this man? He is such a great husband, fantastic father, and has so many wonderful gifts and talents. Though he may be birthday-challenged, he definitely made it up for it in the end. Thank you, Honey!!!




2 comments:

steveandcaryn said...

My husband is birthday challenged too! His birthday is Dec. 20th so he always hated birthdays since it was so close to Christmas... and therefore makes everyone miserable on their birthdays too! Bah humbug! I love my husband too though, and he always makes up for it in some cute way! Happy Birthday!!

Unknown said...

I can't believe you didn't mention your birthday to me when we talked on Monday! I'm sorry I missed it so I do wish you a VERY HAPPY BELATED Birthday!!!! In my experience as an adult, birthdays have really lost their fun. But it sounds like Mark pulled through in the end :)