Thursday, July 1, 2010

Summer "Vacation" Part 1: Flagstaff

I am so beyond behind when it comes to blogging...it is not even funny. However, we have two trips planned for the next two weekends, so I figured I better get on the ball. So I'm going to take a huge breath, go through a million pictures, and try to get caught up in the next few days. So here it goes...

When I think of the word "vacation", all kinds of thoughts enter my head. Sparkling beaches. Spa. Relaxation. Spending 40 hours in a car with two children under the age of 3, going to the Emergency Room for 8 hours, attempting to not catch the ever-rampant case of bronchitis, dealing with teething and fevers, and sleeping in the same room with two children...not a vacation. "Trip" yes, "vacation" no. However, how can we complain when we got to spend three weeks with some of our favorite people?

I completely failed, however, to photograph this trip properly. I was too busy changing diapers, feeding bottles, sunscreening, packing and re-packing and re-packing again, trying to keep my kids from being too noisy, making too big of messes or staining/breaking anything. It was like events were flying past me before I even realized they were happening. Maybe one day when we're rich, we'll hire our photographer friend Stephen and assistant Jessica to just go with us on vacation and take beautiful pictures of us doing life. But until then, we'll just enjoy the gorgeous pictures he took while we stayed with them.

First stop: Flagstaff, AZ. We just love this small town that was our home for four years (and my home for 8!) Our dear friends, the Proberts, graciously agreed to host our crazy family of four and blessed us with great food, conversation, games, and of course, pictures. We also had the privilege of attending the wedding of Kelly Watkins and new hubbie Patrick Smith. It was so beautiful to watch a young couple so in love with each other and the Lord. Our stay was filled with walks, bocce ball, Carcassone, lunch with dear friends from Grace Community Church, and a fun BBQ at Lake Mary with the Phillips family. The weather was perfect and you just can't beat summer in Flag. Too bad the four days we spent there just flew by!



Brookie making mischief before the wedding


Looking like a little princess


So happy!


Who needs clothes?


Brookes loves Jessica


Hmm...contemplating how to play bocce ball


Ethan having the time of his life


My sweet girl and I


Hammock time with my favorite boy


Enjoying a summer BBQ


Ethan just loves "guitar time" with Stephen


Jessica and I


Ethan and Rayna enjoying the sand


Another attempt at a family photo


Daddy and his girl


My Honey and I


Why the perfect family photo doesn't happen...
When one is happy...


The other is uh..not.


But this is about as good as it's going to get for now!
Thanks Stephen!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie~ what beautiful pictures!! Wow! You look so beautiful too! Your haircut really suits you :) I love the family pictures, the good ones and "bad" ones! Kids are so honest with their expressions :)

steveandcaryn said...

I LOVE the pictures in this post! So beautiful! Especially the one of you and Brooklyn and then you and Ethan below. Wow. You look great Julie!!