Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Cabining" in Castle Rock

A few months ago, my friend Jennessa and I were discussing how fun it would be for our families to go camping together. However, at the time, she was just starting her third trimester of pregnancy and didn't think a tent would be such a fabulous idea. It was extremely hard for me to give up spending another two nights in our pup tent, because I'm so hard-core and all. But in an act of generosity, we decided to oblige her and stay in cabins about 35 minutes south of Denver, near Castle Rock. We had such a fantastic time with her, her husband Eric, and kids Owen and Simon. And despite the electricity, beds, and roof over our heads...we did still cook over an open fire, made smores, and smelled like a campfire. All in all, with two small children, I'll take this type of "camping" any day!


Brooklyn...ready for adventure


Photojournalism at its finest


This is what the boys brought back when they said they were gathering "a few sticks" for the fire. I suppose they were just nurturing their "inner Boy Scout".


Jennessa and I (and Baby Girl-To-Be)


Chillin' and relaxin'
(I refuse to combine those two words)


Most people might think a campground near train tracks would be a bad thing. But our boys thought this was the best thing EVER! They got to see trains pass right by all day long.


Mark had the brilliant idea to put coins on the tracks. All of the boys thought this was fantastic!


Ethan loved swimming with his buddies


Soaking up sun after pool time


Another favorite activity was racing adult-sized "Big Wheels"


And I couldn't let the boys have all the fun!


Even Brooklyn gave it a try...backwards.


This is my "Honey...we CAN'T leave before we get a picture by the sign!" picture.


And the obligatory family photo...taken by a kind stranger, who apparently didn't know how to operate the zoom.

2 comments:

Jenn - aka honey or mom said...

Looks fun. I like that kind of camping too - I'll do the tent camping, but a cabin is nice.

Unknown said...

What a fun trip!! That is totally my kind of camping :)