Thursday, April 3, 2014

A Very Thank-filled Weekend! (Eventually, that is)

November seriously crawled by at a snail's pace and I was getting more and more uncomfortable by the minute. Everything hurt and I was unbelievably tired. My due date was Dec. 3, so I assumed I would be induced around Dec. 12 since I've never gone into labor before on my own. By Thanksgiving, I was starting to think that I may not make it emotionally to the Big Day. 



We had a our traditional turkey feast with a bunch of our friends, but I felt terrible. Everyone was in a good mood but me. I just felt huge and uncomfortable. I couldn't even enjoy the food because I was so big, there was no place for the food to go! The next day was even worse...my 35th birthday. 



This meant that in 1 day I went from being a low-risk pregnancy to a "geriatric" pregnancy. GERIATRIC...REALLY. And since I was now "advanced maternal age", it put me in an awesome category of all kinds of risks and complications. Wow. Anyways, I digress...

I woke up exhausted and started feeling pretty depressed. Birthdays are typically difficult for me, but this was terrible. I was cranky and started crying like a baby. I whined and complained to Mark that all I wanted for my birthday was to not be pregnant anymore. He tried to lift my spirits by taking me out to dinner at our favorite Tibetan restaurant. 



Sherpas...best food in Boulder!

After we ate, my stomach hurt. I thought maybe it was the spicy food or several Diet Pepsis I drank. I could tell I was having contractions as I walked to the car, but I thought maybe there were just false labor pains. Since we had a babysitter and already bought tickets to see "Catching Fire", I told Mark we'd be fine and headed to the movie theater anyways. 



Once we got there, I was having trouble walking, but figured everything would calm down once I sat. However, after just a few minutes of previews, I knew something was happening. I started timing my contractions and they were getting closer and closer. My back was absolutely killing me and I knew that there was no way I could sit there for two hours. We left the theater before the movie even started and raced to the hospital. Once I got there, I was only about 2 cm. I told the nurse that there was no way I was leaving with my back hurting that badly (it was worse than labor pains!) She told us to walk around and I moved to 4cm quickly. Before I knew it, I was checked-in and the baby was on his way! 



God was so good to us. Our kids were with our close friends for our date night...so they just ended up staying for the weekend. Lucky them! Be careful when offering to babysit for the Mitchells!

Slumber Party at the Ohs...our kids didn't mind a bit!

All in all, I was so thankful...our baby coming was seriously the best birthday present EVER!

No comments: